click on the images below to see a larger version
Built in the environs of the site of a 12th century Cistercian abbey, Bagenal's Castle is an early example of a fortified residence.
It was built by Nicholas Bagenal, an English settler, who was granted the estates of the abbey at Newry in 1550.
The castle's exact location was lost over the years due to constant adaptation of the building not least when the premises were purchased by Arthur McCann Ltd in 1894 and converted into a bakery.
The castle was rediscovered in 1996 when McCanns sold the site.
The building now houses the Newry and Mourne Museum's collections, which include material relating to prehistoric times, Newry as a merchant town, the working life of the area and the modern experiences.
Newry and Mourne Museum
For further information please visit our website www.bagenalscastle.com
Return to display case projects